March 2018 demo
Meatless in March was the theme last month at the Santa Monica Main Street Farmers Market demo. Chef Kim shared how to get more protein into a vegetarian diet!
With that in mind, she shared three recipes: Quinoa & Kidney Bean Burrito Bowls, Sundried Tomato Hummus Toast with Sauteed Spinach and Feta, and Roasted Curried Cauliflower Avocado Toast. Download all the recipes on one sheet.
Quinoa & Kidney Bean Burrito Bowls
1 c quinoa
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 c onion minced
1 clove garlic minced
30 oz. cooked kidney beans or 2 cans, drained and rinsed
1/4 c fresh cilantro chopped
1/4 tsp chili powder mild
Pinch cayenne pepper spicy
1/4 c fresh lime juice
1 cup shredded lettuce
Salt and pepper
Optional Topping Ingredients
Grated cheddar or jack cheese
Sour cream or Greek yogurt
Pico de gallo or salsa
Diced, seeded tomatoes
Hot sauce or Sriracha
Sliced avocado or guacamole
Egg, boiled, poached, or fried
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Chef tip: use vegetable broth instead of water for more flavor.
- While quinoa is cooking, sauté onion in 1 Tbsp oil in a saucepan for a few minutes till it softens then add the minced garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes longer till aromatic.
- Add the kidney beans, 1/2 cup water, 2 tbsp of chopped fresh cilantro, chili powder and cayenne pepper. Bring the beans to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Let the beans simmer for 15 minutes till the liquid is mostly evaporated. Stir in2 Tbsp of fresh lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the quinoa is fully cooked, remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Mix in 2 Tbsp of chopped cilantro, 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice and kidney beans. Divide into 4 bowls and top with your favorite toppings.
Sundried Tomato Hummus Toast with Sauteed Spinach and Feta
Spread the hummus (see recipe below) on your favorite toast and topped with sautéed spinach and feta cheese. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
1/4 c lemon juice
1/4 c tahini
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 c sundried tomatoes
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
2 c cooked or canned chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
- Add lemon juice, tahini and olive oil to the container of a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, about 40 seconds.
- Scrape down sides and add sundried tomatoes, garlic, cumin, salt, and 3/4 of the can of chickpeas. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Scrape down sides and blend again for another minute until even smoother.
- Add remaining chickpeas and blend for about 20 seconds or until the hummus has reached the desired creaminess.
Roasted Curried Cauliflower Avocado Toast
1 ripe avocado, peeled, de-seeded, mashed, and seasoned with salt, pepper, and lime juice
1/2 c roasted curried cauliflower florets (see recipe below)
1 Tbsp mixed microgreens
2 Slices of your favorite bread, toasted
Balsamic reduction (see recipe below)
Soft boiled egg (optional)
Roasted Curried Cauliflower Ingredients
1⁄4 c olive oil
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp lemon juice
1⁄2 tsp salt
1⁄4 tsp black pepper
4 c cauliflower florets, wash
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix the olive oil, curry powder, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Place the washed and well drained cauliflower florets in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish; pour the oil mixture over the florets and toss gently. Bake 15 to 20 minutes; remove from oven and use everywhere! Divide and assemble the ingredients onto two pieces of toast.
1 c of balsamic vinegar
Bring vinegar to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer 10 minutes until vinegar has reduced down and coats the back of a spoon. Cool and use everywhere! If it becomes too thick in the fridge, warm container in warm water to loosen.