This month’s demonstration will bring us three Korean recipes: a grilled peach salad, a seafood pancake and a vegan bibimbap bowl.
Korean Grilled Peach Salad
Korean Style Salad Dressing
1⁄2 c soy sauce
1⁄4 c sesame oil
1⁄4 c rice vinegar
1⁄4 c water
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp red chili pepper flakes, crushed
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk, or throw it all in a food processor and go to town.
Serve on top of your favorite fresh salads.
Korean Seafood Pancake
Dipping Sauce Ingredients
1/4 c soy sauce
1 Tbsp gochugaru (Korean red chile flakes)(optional)
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp minced ginger
2 scallions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 lbs of your favorite raw seafood (shrimp, fish, mussels, clams, squid, etc)
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c rice flour
2 Tbsp potato starch (or cornstarch if not available)
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 large egg
1 c cold club soda or sparkling water
6 scallions, sliced
1 red finger chile pepper or Fresno chile or jalepeno thinly sliced (optional)
1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup chives, sliced
1/2 cup kimchi, drained, pressed dry, and chopped
1/2 cup canola oil
- For the dipping sauce: Combine the soy sauce, gochugaru, rice vinegar, sesame seeds, ginger, scallions and garlic in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the all-purpose and rice flours, potato starch, sesame oil and egg to a large bowl. Add the ice water and whisk until well incorporated. The batter consistency should be loose, like heavy cream.
- Add the scallions, chile, shallot, garlic, chives, kimchi, 3/4 teaspoon salt and mix well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the canola oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup of the batter to the skillet and spread it evenly until it is in a single layer, using a spatula if necessary. Distribute the seafood evenly all over the pancake. Lower the heat to medium and cook until the sides are crisp and small bubbles form on top, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Flip the pancake and cook the other side until brown and crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip the pancake twice more, once again on each side, and cook for 30 seconds per side to ensure the pancake becomes crispy. Repeat with the remaining pancake batter and canola oil.
- Cut pancakes and serve with the dipping sauce.
Vegan Bibimbap Bowl
Bulgogi Marinade Ingredients
1/2 c soy sauce
1 Korean pear or Asian pear, grated with juices
2 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
1/2 small white onion, grated or sliced
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
2 Tbsp light brown sugar
1 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp ground red pepper
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 green onions, thinly sliced
Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl or food processor. Marinate your favorite protein (beef, chicken, tofu, seafood, etc.) overnight or for at least one hour. Grill or saute your protein and enjoy on your bibimbap bowl.
1 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, divided
4 cups steamed sushi rice or mixed grain rice (from 1 cup dry rice)
Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add rice; pat out in an even layer. Cook, rotating skillet for even browning (do not stir), until rice is golden and crisp on bottom, about 15 minutes.
Pickled Carrots & Daikon Radish
Scallions (Green Onion)
Divide rice among bowls. Top with protein, Bibimbap Mix-Ins.